Pages

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Into the Swing of things...


      What a busy and wonderful week!  This week has been long and exhausting but well worth ever bit of energy put into it. I am so thankful to be where God has called me.  
The first big activity of the week started on Wednesday with See You at the Pole day of prayer.  Granted we are a Christian school so this is a bit different than in a public school setting but it was pretty fantastic.  I was in charge of “organizing” things for the event and I decided to have it coordinate with our International Celebration which we have been preparing for, for several weeks. Each class takes a country and learns about it and prepares presentations and songs and food about the country. We also pray for the country as a class and such.  We started our See you at the Pole day by singing international unity worship songs like “Until the Whole World Hears,”  and “We speak to Nations.”  We focused on the fact that God loves all people and nations and wants all to know Him. Then we went outside where we had a flag for each country represented in our International Celebration.  We began with some scripture then prayed for our school- students, staff, teachers, and parents.  Then teacher and staff volunteers prayed for the countries represented by students and staff. Then each class prayed for their country for International Week. Finally we closed with everyone praying aloud together for whatever was on our hearts. It was a pretty fantastic morning of prayer.
Then Thursday and Friday were the International Celebration activities where we had presentations for families and had to prepare food samples from our country for 175 people.  (I think I only served about 75.  My class had made Guatemalan rice (our country for international week was Guatemala.)  I had so much left over there was no way we would ever eat it.  (more on the rice later)  My kids did a great job with their costumes and presentations and we all had a lot of fun learning about other countries. 

                  (I have some great pictures of my kids, but I don't want to post those to the internet  for their safety.  If you get our newsletter,  you'll see them in a few weeks. :)

Friday night we had youth group which was great! We played a fun game - The 12 Days of Christmas- each group had to act out a different character in the song.  We did it to the Relient K version- so everyone has a lot of fun!  Craig’s message tied in with last week's about finding your identity in God. This week focused on “Who you Aren’t”  focusing on where NOT to find your identify- looking at issues like peer pressure and how friends and the world affect us.  Craig and Lindsey are doing a great job at connecting with the kids- I need to do better. It is hard because the Korean kids are shy and stand off-ish to new people- and I’m honestly naturally shy too- it takes great effort for me to be outgoing. So between these two, I’m having some trouble making relationships with them. I know it will get better- I just need to keep trying. 
Saturday mornings we help a woman named Carol with a children’s ministry in one of the poorest areas of Baguio. This is one of the lowest areas and is frequently flooded. We decided to bring the leftover rice from the International Celebration with us on Saturday morning to feed the children. I figured out a way to keep it warm without electricity (I was very proud of this accomplishment!) and we brought it. When we got there we found out Carol had brought roasted chicken to feed the children.  Lindsey was giving the Bible lesson for the children (which happen to be about Jesus feeding the 5,000) and then we fed about 25-30 children chicken and rice. It was perfect.  The children were even able to have a second helping.  
Serving chicken and rice

The kids play a game with rubber bands that I am determined to learn to play. It's a work in progress. 

We went home for lunch and a rest then went to school to meet up with friends to go out for coffee.  We were able to go to the grand opening of the new Dunkin’ Donuts at the mall!  It was exciting but a bit disappointing. There were only like 2 donuts that looked like the ones at home and they only had hot plain coffee. (some of you know I LOVE iced coconut coffee)  
Then we headed down to find the Jeepney to get out to the orphanage.  If we take a Taxi it cost about $3.50 but if we take Jeeps it only costs about 50 cents per person (total $1.50).  Not a HUGE difference I know- but every little bit counts and we actually really enjoy the jeep. Sometimes it can be TOO crowded- can hardly fit half a cheek on the seat and today was one of those days!  We had at least 22 people in one jeep- it was SO tight and hot.  But it’s fun! It makes you feel Filipino and close with the people... well literally and emotionally.  It always amazes me how you think a Jeep cannot possibly fit another person- then one more gets on and manages to squeeze in.  Most days- it’s not that crowded though. Then on the way home we met 2 older people- who were very nice. They work with True Love Waits and I think one was a pastor.  Anyway! So we got to the orphanage via Jeepney and played and hung out with the kids for the afternoon.  Craig and I got to feed one of the babies. :)  Then one of the other babies was restless in her swing-crib, I tried to rub her back and rock her swing but she just seemed like she needed something. I think she was supposed to be sleeping but I just couldn’t stand it leaving her unhappy and restless!  So I picked her up. She seemed better but still not great.. I’m no baby expert here, just trying to make her comfortable and give her some love. Then..... She threw up ALL over me. I definitely almost joined her.   Well, after that, I think the baby felt better. :)   It was rainy this day so we stayed inside and played mostly with the younger kids.  They are all so precious.  Craig had fun being the tickle monster and Lindsey had kids climbing all over her. It was a good day. We also successfully proved that we remembered how to count to 10 in Tagalog!  yahoo! For give my incorrect spelling- but here we go!    Isa, Dalawa, tatlo, apat, lima, anim, pito, walo, sham, sampo!!! :D  Add those to my list of about 10 Tagalog words I know!


Well till next time,  Ingat! (take care)
- Meghan

No comments:

Post a Comment