Comfort. Comfortable. These words can mean many different things. For one thing, there's your comfort zone. The areas in your life where you feel comfortable. You are sure of yourself and you know what you're doing.
When we boxed up our life and moved to the other side of the world some would say we left our comfort zone. Maybe that is true. However the good thing about comfort is that it can grow almost anywhere. When we first arrived here in the Philippines SO many things were new and uncomfortable. Just the new noises alone are enough to talk about for a day. Roosters, pigs, dogs, men selling food or household items- calling our their product or honking a horn wildly, children playing, neighbors in their apartments, the water tank churning and so many more new sounds- just in our home.....This morning as I lay in bed I noticed birds chirping... I'm not sure that I've heard that before. Has it taken 8 months to grow accustom to all the other sounds that I can finally hear the birds chirping!?
When we first arrived, we didn't know how to get places or where to get the things we needed or what exactly we did in fact need! Finding food was a problem. Apparently this is a common cross-cultural problem. Of course there is food everywhere, but somehow you can't seem to get it figured out- you're trying to find foods that are familiar and try new foods all while figuring out a new system of money along with a million other things.
At first, we did not leave our house at night. We were afraid and unsure of what we would find on our neighborhood streets.
In our first month or two here we ate McDonalds a lot- something we don't even do much at home but it had familiarity- it was comfortable. A hot fudge sundae and french fries tastes exactly the same here at home. (It is a struggle to find things that taste exactly the same as at home- even home cooked meals are different because the ingredients are just a bit different.) When everything in your life is new, it is really nice to have comfortable moments in your life. Going to Starbucks- another thing we don't do often at home- felt like visiting a little piece of home.
When we first arrived int he Philippines I don't think we felt too terribly shocked by anything but looking back, it really is a challenge to learn so many new things all at once. Gradually, we learned but you don't realize how familiar and easy things are in your life until they are no longer there and you have to learn 100 new things at once.
I have found comfort.
Or has comfort grown in around me?
I’m not quite sure I know the answer but I do know that it takes a little effort, endurance and willingness.
If you ever find yourself in a state of discomfort. Take peace in knowing that comfort can grow in around you. If you aren’t afraid to continue to submerge yourself in new things, you will find comfort there in time.
I do still enjoy a hot fudge sundae from McDonalds or a Saturday morning at Starbucks though. ;)
-Meghan
You are both so brave for going over there and helping. It's really inspirational. Once again I can say you give a great example for Christians. I think I'd be too scared to do that! Anything helps, of course, but what you did was amazing and huge.
ReplyDeleteAny courage or strength we have is completely from the Lord. His hand is ever present and clearly visible, especially when you are willing to step out in faith. This year has been an incredible faith and trust building year- it has been awesome! We appreciate the compliments and encouragement though. :)
ReplyDelete